registered massage therapy
Registered Massage Therapy Downtown Toronto
Massage therapy is the assessment and manipulation of soft
tissues and joints of the body to provide a therapeutic response in the
treatment and prevention of physical dysfunction.
Massage can be both preventative and restorative. It can help to maintain, rehabilitate, and augment physical function. Even more simply, it can relieve pain.
Helping to alleviate
discomfort and improve
Massage therapy has firmly established its role as a clinically-oriented health option used to deal with a variety of physical discomforts.
Massage can help alleviate soft tissue discomfort associated with everyday stress, muscular overuse, and many chronic pain syndromes. If delivered early enough after accidents involving trauma and injury, massage therapy can greatly reduce the development of painful muscular problems.
Massage Therapy Techniques
Hands-on techniques are used during massage. These include:
- Effleurage (gliding strokes)
- Petrissage (lifting and kneading)
These techniques stretch and loosen connective tissues and muscles, effect movements that assist the action of the joints, and combine to increase function and range of motion thereby reducing muscle tension.
Massage therapy may include other modalities or specific techniques, such as:
- Hydrotherapy (the use of heat and cold)
- Trigger point therapy
- Myofascial therapy (connective tissue work)
- Deep tissue massage
- Rhythmic mobilizations
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- Remedial exercises
Benefits of Registered Massage Therapy
Massage therapy is used to treat the acute and chronic stages of specific conditions. Treatment enhances an individual’s overall sense of emotional and physical well-being as well as improving quality of life.
Our registered massage therapists can help with conditions such as:
- Inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and tendonitis
- Stress relief and associated conditions
- Headaches and migraines
- Muscle and related conditions such as spasms, strains and sprains
- Back/Leg/Neck pain
- Repetitive strain injury
- Circulatory and Respiratory problems
- Pregnancy and labour discomfort
- Post-injury and post surgical rehabilitation
- Sports injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (repetitive strain)
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Palliative care
- Massage Therapy as Part of your Health Maintenance Plan
Therapeutic massage is an important part of your health maintenance plan, by:
- Reducing or eliminating pain
- Improving joint mobility
- Improving circulation
- Improving immune system functioning
- Increasing lymphatic drainage
- Reducing depression and anxiety
- Reducing tension within muscles
- Increasing body awareness
Massage therapy benefits people of all ages.
Dundas University Health Clinic presently has 5 registered massage therapists, both male and female, to meet your health needs throughout the week.
- Ron McKerracher, R.M.T., C.S.C.S.
- Edith Miranda, R.M.T.
- Tina Todd, R.M.T.
- Candice Eisner, R.M.T.
Our therapists are there to help you gain control of your health and/or to better
your personal performance in a spa like atmosphere.
Call 416.598.4999 or drop by the clinic to find out more about how any of our health professionals can help. You can get specific
directions to the clinic by filling
out our Mapquest® form.