Safe Lifting Technique Tips
Simple safe lifting technique for busy individuals.
Tried and true safe lifting techniques.
- Stand close to the load to be lifted.
- Place your feet shoulder-width apart, with one foot slightly forward and your head up.
- Keep your back straight with your feet and body pointing in the same direction.
- Squat down to the level of the object and test the weight of the load.
- Use the strength of your leg and arm muscles to smoothly and slowly lift the load.
- Keep the load close to your body.
- Turn to face the intended direction of travel, pivot with your feet, and proceed with the load.
- Avoid twisting your body while carrying the load.
- Bend your knees and slowly lower the load to its intended place.
- Do not lift heavy objects above your waist (see below).
- Avoid heavy lifting immediately after more than 15 minutes of bending or kneeling.
Dr. Ormond is a chiropractor dedicated to providing clients with natural, gentle, evidence based health care in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Services include: chiropractic treatment; soft tissue therapy; medical acupuncture; custom orthotic inserts and shoes; and rehabilitation. Posture advice to support the spine and relieve stress is a key element in patient care success.
Back Problem Warning Signs
- Leg pain with numbness, tingling, and/or weakness.
- Back or leg pain with coughing or sneezing.
- Difficulty standing up after sitting for any period of time.
- Stiffness in the morning that decreases when you move around.
- Pain in your hip, buttock, thigh, knee, or foot.
- Inability to turn or bend to each side equally.
- Unbalanced posture, when your head, neck, or shoulder may be higher on one side than the other.
- Pain which prevents you from sleeping well.
- Pain that persists or worsens after 48 hours.
Dr. Ormond's 10 General Tips for a Healthy Back
- Exercise regularly.
- Follow a healthy diet.
- Maintain good posture as much as possible.
- Do an active warm up before activity and stretch after.
- Don't overload your backpack or shoulder bag.
- Stretch your legs and back after each hour of sitting.
- Never cradle the phone between your neck and shoulder.
- Sleep on your back or side, not on your stomach.
- Invest in a good chair, pillow and mattress. It's worth it!
- Have regular spinal check-ups.
Pointing clients in the right direction towards a healthy, pain free, and productive
lifestyle is important to Dr. Mitch Ormond. Treating
most conditions is the easy part, its following through with the decision
to get a problem taken care of that is the hard part.
Call 416.598.4999, email Dr. Mitch Ormond , or drop by the clinic for more information. You can get specific directions to the clinic by filling out our Mapquest® form.
Find out more about how we can help with your individual health care needs. Appointments recommended.